Berg Brilliant Blue Toner

Berg Brilliant Blue Toner

 

 
Last week while in the film developing area, I came across a a jug of some blue toner. I thought it looked really interesting so I asked David about it. David said it has been years since anyone has used it, but that I could try it if I wanted to. 
 
 I did a little bit of research and found this article ( link ) that gives a good explanation on both how to use it, and how the chemical reaction takes place.
 
 
I started off with a throwaway print. I put this in the toner for approximately 5 minutes and watched as it slowly became a deeper blue.
 
 

 I really liked the results, however, I did learn that the blue toner requires constant agitation otherwise the blue will overflow onto the boarders... I guess maybe this wouldn't matter if the print did not have boarders? But I like my prints with boarders, so I will stick with constant agitation.

After a few more tests, I decided that I was happy with 30 seconds of constant agitation in the blue toner. This is what I did for all of my prints for the "Diving for Pearls" assignment.



I really love the look of the blue toner. I would probably use it on all of my prints if we had the resources for it - But there is not much of it in the lab and I doubt that more will be brought in considering the fact that no one uses it.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Roll of 35mm Film

Digital Photography

Exposure Latitude + Depth of Field